Thursday, November 29, 2012

Double nickle

Today is the day - I am not only 50 something, or over 50, I am double nickle. 55! Me? Can't believe that. When I was in the US earlier this year, I learned the term double nickle. I didn't know what they meant at first. Apparently, a nickle is 5 cents, so double nickle is 55. Geddit? Took me a while.
 
What does it mean to be 55? My brain doesn't want to process any of it.
 
On the one hand, you could look at what a wonderful life you've had so far, all the things you've achieved and done and look forward to many more fantastic things to do.
 
On the other hand, you could look at all the things that you wanted to do and achieve and think that you haven't done any, or many of them.
 
Glass half-full or glass half-empty?
 
I am a glass half-full type of person, so I have chosen to look at all the wonderful things I've done so far and all the opportunities that I've had. I am well educated (Master of Organisational Psychology), went to an elite private school, never wanted for anything, was bright enough not to have to put much effort in at school (different story at Uni!), was good at sport and am lucky enough to live in the best economy in the world (Western Australia) in the fifth most liveable country in the world.
 
So where does a 55th birthday leave me? Grateful for the opportunities I've had and thinking I could make more use of them. I would like to sponsor a child through the Smith Family, but I really would like the child I sponsor to be an Aboriginal girl from the Kimberley region of Western Australia, but you can't choose your type of kid. You can't even choose what state they come from. I am still deciding what to do about that.
 
I did rescue a little dove the other day. I think he was kicked out of his nest so he could learn to fly, but he fell about four or five metres with a big thump right next to me. I took him to the vet, who kept him for a couple of days and then three days ago I had to collect him. I kept him in the garage for two nights and gave him flying lessons! I had to make him fly so his wing muscles would get stronger. He wasn't too keen, although he did it a little bit. When I can work out how to put the video of him on here, you will be able to see him.
 
Yesterday at lunch time, I opened the door to the backyard and when I got home he had hopped just outside the door. I tried to make him fly, but he just hopped a bit further away from me, so I left him alone. Luckily, where I left him was right under his nest. Later on he was still there. When his mother started coo-ing he got a bit agitated, but didn't try to fly. I can't see him now so I hope he is OK.
 
The little bird was my glass half-full contribution and I would do it again. I don't think I would do it because I am now over 50, I think it's just me.
 
What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to seeing your comments.